Auditions for Bye Bye Birdie are fast approaching! Online registration is available. Please review the following information for role and audition requirements. Auditions will be held at warehouse14 on Saturday April 22 and callbacks will be on Saturday April 29.
Morning Session: 9:30 a.m. to Noon
- Arrive at 9:30 a.m.
- You must be checked in and ready to go by 10 a.m.
Afternoon Session 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Arrive at 11:30 a.m.
- You must be checked in and ready to go by Noon
Albert Peterson (Baritone, 28-37, dance, pratfalls)
President of Almaelou Music Corp. Birdie's manager. Sweet, but a pushover. Strong acting, good voice needed.
Rosie Alvarez (Alto, 26-35, true "triple-theat" role)
Albert's secretary - the real brain of the pair. Strong-willed, smart, of Spanish heritage, patience of a saint.
Conrad Birdie (Baritone, Elvislike, 21-30, dance)
Handsome rockstar. Frustrated by those who run his career.
Mr. Harry MacAfee (Baritone, Comedy, 40-55)
A typical old fashioned, grumpy father, frustrated with the behavior of "teenagers today". A comedic role. Singing is required but is not difficult.
Mrs. Doris MacAfee (Mezzo, 40-50)
Mr. MacAfee's supportive wife. Steady, calm, in control of a nervous, grouchy husband and a hysterical teenage daughter. Very little singing.
Mae Peterson (Non-Singing, Comedic, 55-75)
Albert's overbearing, controlling mother. Strong acting and good comic timing.
Gloria Rasputin (Non-Singing, comedic, 21-30, tap dance)
Albert's mother's choice for Albert's new secretary. Tap dancing blonde bombshell.
Reporters, Policemen, Bartender, Stage Mngr. ,Conductor, Traveler, Mayor's Wife
ROLE FOR MALE AGES 8-10
Randolph (Tenor, 10)
The MacAfee's son. Very little singing.
ROLES FOR TEENS - AGE 13 AND OLDER
Ursula Merkel (Mezzo, 13-17, "triple-threat")
The hyper-enthusiastic leader of Conrad's teenage fans. Kim's best friend and neighbor.
Kim MacAfee (Soprano/Mezzo, 15, high A)
Winner of the kissing contest. A typical 50's teenager. Pretty, self-confident. Strong acting and singing, group dancing.
Suzie (Mezzo, 13-17)
A teenage fan of Conrad's.
Helen, Nancy, Margie, Alice, Penelope (Mezzo, dance)
A featured chorus of Conrad's fans.
Hugo Peabody (Non-Singing, 15-18)
Kim's dorky, jealous boyfriend.
Karl, Harvey Johnson (Baritone, 13-17, dance)
Boys to go with the girls in Sweet Apple.
Initial Audition Songs
Rosie – Mezzo-soprano, Must be able to sing well G below middle C, Spanish Rose, measures 1 -39, What Did I Ever See in Him, measures 3–28
Albert – Tenor with strong lower register or baritone with strong upper register, Put on a Happy Face, measures7-37, Baby, Talk to Me, measures 2-32
Kim – Soprano with strong lower register or high mezzo-soprano with strong upper register, How Lovely to Be a Woman, measures 24-103, One Boy, measures 3-35
Conrad – Tenor, Honestly Sincere, measures 2-43 and measures 55-102. A Lot of Livin' to Do, measures 2-58
Mr. Macafee – Baritone or Tenor, Kids, measures 3-32
Mrs. Macafee – Mezzo-soprano, Kids, measures 51 to the end of the song
Margie, Deborah, Sue Ursula – Song from the musical theatre repertoire
Randolph – Unchanged voice – Song from the musical theatre repertoire and Ed Sullivan, measures 9-14
All other characters – Song from the musical theatre repertoire **Please bring sheet music**
Kim – All of How Lovely to Be a Woman without melody doubled by the piano - You may be stopped before the end of the song.
Rosie and Kim Duet – What Did I Ever See in Him, measures 56-76
Albert and Rosie Duet – Rosie, All of the song – You may be stopped before the end of the song.
Conrad – Honestly Sincere, All of the song, but you may be asked to sing only measures 149 to the end of the song.
This document is meant to be used as a supplement to the Choreography Video Breakdown, if needed. It is the list of steps, in order, for the Bye Bye Birdie Audition Choreography.
Looking forward to a great summer Katie Delozier and Ashleigh Zarley, Choreographers
Key: RF = Right Foot LF = Left Foot
Steps: 1. 2 kicks with jazz hands, RF flexed
2. Grape vine step (RF back, LF side, RF front)
3. 4 chugs with floppy wrists (Angle left, right, left, right)
4. 2 kicks with jazz hands, LF flexed
5. Grape vine step (LF back, RF side, LF front)
6. 4 kicks with snapping fingers, RF first (Angle right)
7. Ball change with prep arms (RF back, LF front)
8. Pirouette to the right (Arms in first position, a “circle”) (RF to left knee, land with feet next to each other)
9. 3 heel lifts (“up an over”) (Start to the right, then left, then right pose)
10. Lindy to the left (LF gallup, ball change RF back, LF front)
11. Lindy to the right (RF gallup, ball change LF back, RF front)
12. 16 Sugars with jazz hands (LF first and turn in a circle to the left)
13. Kick hops with floppy wrists, facing left corner (RF kick, jump together, RF kick, jump together, RF kick 3 times to turn to right corner, jump together)
2 of 2
14. Kick hops with floppy wrists, facing right corner (LF kick, jump together, LF kick, jump together, LF kick 3 times to turn to left corner, jump together)
15. The “Birdie” x2 (Jump to elbows up, head tilts right, heels outward Jump back together)
16. Toe Heel crawls with floppy wrists, traveling right (RF toe, heel, toe, heel LF alternating)
17. The “Birdie” x2 (Jump to elbows up, head tilts right, heels outward Jump back together)
18. Toe Heel crawls with floppy wrists, traveling left (LF toe, heel, toe, heel RF alternating)
19. Scissor x2 with arms crossed then open, starting left (#1 - LF jump or “hop”, RF “cross” front, LF jump or “hop”, RF “heel” to right corner) (#2 - RF jump or “hop”, LF “cross” front, RF jump or “hop”, LF “heel” to left corner)
20. Pivot turn step together, with arms up (LF front turn back, pivot on RF LF step back, RF step together)
21. Side jump right with snapping fingers, LF pointed
22. Grape vine step (LF back, RF side, LF front)
23. Side jump left with snapping fingers, RF pointed
24. Grape vine step (RF back, LF side, RF front)
25. Cha cha x2 with arms of your choice, RF start